Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The "Registered Contract"

Based  on the principle "if it is important enough, do it yourself", we decided that I would go to Rome and not come back until I had the contract in my hand.

So off "cattle class" to Rome. I had trawled the web for agents and had organised appointments for when I arrived. So after arriving at 2pm my first appointment was at four. What a let down. It was the worst apartment I have ever ever seen. Small narrow and with a metal winding staircase to a tiny bedroom. My heart sank. All I could visualise was Carolyna and the look on her face. So after going through polite discussion with the owner I was off to the next. An older style apartment in Monte. Met the owner but it did not sing a song. When I left I thought if we have to we will take it but hoping that something better would come up

That night I was depressed and felt like drowning my sorrows.

Next morning the sun was up and it was a beautiful Rome spring day. And did it get better. I was lucky to have found a great agent, Immobiliere Edwards and the apartments I visited that day were excellent

When I went to Via delle Carrozze 25 near the Spanish steps I knew that this was the one. Very good owner, beautifully furnished and maintained. So we struck a deal and documentation was prepared.

Then the agent asked me for my codice fiscale. Well!!!!

I said I did not have one. She said you must, as you come to Italy so often. A codice fiscale is like an Italian tax file number. So another day lost as we applied for that. So after all the trauma the owner and I signed the contracts, then the agent registered them (next day) and we were set.

The process of registration involved government stamping of the documents, payment of 1% of lease vale by both sides and agents fees of one month paid by the renter

When we got back to Sydney all documentation was approved and visa back within the week.

Next post the start of the journey

1 comment:

  1. Uhm.... next to the Spanish Steps (Piazza di Spagna) which is just a stone away from VIA CONDOTTI... The most exclusive street in ROMA.... Yes, Carolina will be Very, Very happy! Good on ya Alan!

    ReplyDelete